- Bitcoin users on X showed enthusiasm for Joe Biden’s post, which showed an image of the US president with laser eyes.
- Laser eyes in images typically signal a pro-crypto stance.
- Biden’s SEC and Democrats have taken moves to crack down on crypto.
- The post probably instead referred to conspiracy theories about Taylor Swift, Kansas City Chiefs player Travis Kelce, and the Super Bowl.
- The tweet comes amid investor enthusiasm as Bitcoin reached $50,000 before the ‘halving’ event
When Joe Biden’s X account made a cryptic, meme-inspired post on Sunday night, Bitcoin users widely speculated about the possible meaning.
The “laser eyes” meme has long been associated with Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
Bitcoin enthusiasts variously interpreted Biden’s post as referring to crypto, with some criticising the president for promoting crypto culture in bad faith, while others lauded it as a direct endorsement of cryptocurrencies.
But the post was probably not aimed at Bitcoiners, but right-wing conspiracy theorists about Taylor Swift and the National Football League.
Biden’s account posted the meme immediately after the Kansas City Chiefs beat the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LVIII.
The meme was most likely a reference to an early campaign video on TikTok, where Biden joked about fixing the NFL season to sway the election.
In the video, Biden’s interviewer asked the President if he was “deviously plotting” to rig the Super Bowl.
“I’d get in trouble if I told you,” Biden responded.
Sunday’s X post featured the same laser-eyed photo that flashed in the TikTok video, and alluded to diabolical planning.
“Just like we drew it up.”
The image probably originated as a portrait of Biden’s fictional conspiracy alter-ego — dubbed “Dark Brandon.”
2024 is the most BULLISH year for crypto— borovik.eth (@3orovik) February 12, 2024
- Halving in 66 days
- 11 Bitcoin spot ETFs approved
- Joe Biden tweets laser eyes photo
- BlackRock shilling crypto daily
- Entire countries capitulating to crypto
- Borovik has a red nose
$250,000 for 1 Bitcoin this cycle!!
Biden administration hammers down on crypto
Biden’s White House has taken a hardline stance on crypto.
In March, the administration released a scathing report that criticised many aspects of the digital assets industry, and pointed to dangers it may pose to the US economy.
Democrats under Biden, including Senator Elizabeth Warren, have initiated anti-crypto campaigns geared to crack down on crypto’s alleged ties to criminal activity and money laundering.
Bitcoiners have other reasons to celebrate.
Bitcoin today crossed a $50,000 price milestone, Bitcoin ETFs were recently approved in the US, and an upcoming event, known as the halving, has some experts pointing to more upside.
Tyler Pearson is a junior markets correspondent at DL News. He is based out of Alberta, Canada. Got a hot tip? Reach out to him at firstname.lastname@example.org.